Nursery Manager, Native Here Nursery
East Bay Chapter, California Native Plant Society
Organization: Native Here Nursery, East Bay Chapter, California Native Plant Society 101 Golf Course Drive, Berkeley, Ca. 94708
Background: Native Here Nursery (NHN) is a project of the East Bay Chapter of the California Native Plant Society (EBCNPS). EBCNPS is a chapter of CNPS, a non-profit 501(c3) organization. Founded in 1994, NHN is dedicated to growing plants propagated from materials collected in Alameda and Contra Costa counties for restoration and gardening projects. NHN is a premier nursery in the area devoted to local native flora. Conservation and restoration are at the heart of Native Here’s mission, and the nursery depends on experienced and talented volunteers to operate efficiently. NHN also contributes to the broader community education mission of EBCNPS through a variety of programs.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Manage all nursery operations and maintain structures and grounds
- Oversee recruitment and supervision of volunteers and any additional staff
- Provide excellent customer service in line with the EBCNPS mission
- Plan for and work with volunteers to produce plants for retail customers, restoration efforts, and public agencies
- Maintain healthy plants and nursery infrastructure
- Work with volunteers to plan and organize annual plant sales and events
- Secure all permits and agreements for operating the nursery and collecting activities
- Oversee nursery’s finances, including bill payment, preparation of financial statements, and management of insurance and credit card arrangements
- Maintain nursery’s outreach, including Facebook, Meet-up, and other publicity opportunities
- Nurture relationships with the EBRPD, State Parks, and other governmental and local municipalities, and with restoration contractors and groups concerned with native plant preservation and propagation
- Communicate effectively on a regular basis with chapter board and membership through both oral and written channels
- Contribute to broader goals of EBCNPS through outreach, communication, special events and development of new programs
- Passionate about local native plants
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to complete tasks and meet deadlines
- Enjoy working with people and plants
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships and both oral and written communication
- Have a working knowledge of computer skills for word processing, database and spreadsheets
- Physically able to work outdoors, with uneven terrain, also including lifting and moving plants and nursery tools.
- Experienced in seeking contracts for restoration activities
- Experienced in managing and coordinating volunteers
- Skilled at using social media, including Meet-Up and Facebook
- Degree in a related field of study or two years work experience in the field
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an hourly staff position, 20 hours per week. The rate of pay is $16-$20 per hour, based on qualifications and experience. A benefits package including health care is included. The start date is as early as July 1, 2015, but is negotiable depending on candidate availability.
President, EBCNPS Board of Directors
Send cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
The California Native Plant Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.